Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant

·                 In some ways, I feel as though I am a digital immigrant as I haven't had a lot of experience with cell phones, especially smart phones, until the age of 16. At the age of 16, I received my first flip- phone, thus I didn't grow up with the same technology that many people grew up with. With regard to the internet, I feel that I am also a digital immigrant for the same reason listed above. I don't feel overly confident with technology to fully identify as feeling like a digital native. I believe that most digital natives grew up during the early 2000s.
                  Being that I grew up as primarily a digital immigrant, I feel that this has negatively impeded my ability to quickly learn and problem solve with new technology. I often find myself feeling frustrated with technology because of my situation, however I see the value in teaching technology. Among all of the articles that I have read regarding technology use, I can't say that I specifically disagree with one specific article, I hate the stereotype that 'old' people are not good with technology. This theory needs to be shifted to account for people's life experiences that affect technology learning and acquisition.   

Image result for digital native vs digital immigrant

Comments

  1. I think that the cartoon really depicts how the world sees the 2 groups. I wonder when a new group comes along if that will change?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts