Reacting to Filter Bubbles and Echo Chambers (Part 4 Connectivism)

     When further evaluating articles regarding Facebook's filter bubbles and echo chambers, it is important to remember that their goal is not to exclusively become a formal news network. To this day, I noticed that my Facebook continues to leave me feeling as though I am in a bubble. I find great value in investing a variety of sources, after all, "Facebook hasn't outlined any new strategies for filtering out unreliable news sources in this section -- a problem the company has faced in the past" (Engadget, 2017)

Image result for echo chamber

         In my opinion, the best way to rectify this issue is to view multiple sources for opposing view points for news after all, "Facebook wants you to know that you've only got yourself to blame for the lack of diversity in views on your News Feed (Engadget, 2015). I personally feel that it does not matter how many friends you have on Facebook, people should not rely on Facebook for news. If I was writing a report regarding the news, or even any report, I would never cite only one source. Realizing the relevance, audience, and motive behind each news source is imperative when considering the relevance of each source. Although Facebook is to blame for some of the filter bubble, we have equal blame for not seeking information else ware as it is at the tips of our fingers every day. Sound, alternative sources for news are out there, even from credible sources that do not include Facebook. 

Comments

  1. I agree completely. The trouble is, not enough people feel the same way. I have a teacher colleague who gets her news from the local classic rock station's "News and Views" segment. I have another colleague who thinks climate change is a hoax and has a bunch of FB followers to show for it. If only we could get people to see FB for what it is: entertainment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts